July 23, 2011

The Never Ending Apple Story

A major reason why I haven't posted in a while is that we have been so neck deep in apples over here! (Also, it's been summer vacation and we've been having a great time soaking up the sun and having fun.) Anyway, as part of our Apple Extravaganza, we made apple pie filling.
I don't have a recipe for this, but it's simple enough. I basically follow the same process as the applesauce, but after most of the water is drained, I add butter, salt, lots of brown sugar and cinnamon, and thicken it with corn starch (corn starch and water, whisk together, mix in gradually) until it's the taste and consistency that I want for my pie filling.
Next time I make homemade apple pie, it should be a cinch!
After making all that apple sauce and apple juice and apple pie filling, not to mention Jeepers biting into every apple he could get his hands on, we still had apples. What more could we do? Well I thought about JoJo and how her favorite oatmeal is apple cinnamon with those pieces of dried apple in them. Of course! Dried apples! One of the simplest ways to preserve food and it can be used in so many things- oatmeal, pancakes, muffins...
I just filled a jelly roll pan full of apples (that had been soaking in lemon water) and placed them on super low heat in the oven for a few hours until they were dry enough to store. I feel using the oven is cheating, especially when it's so sunny here, but I just wanted to be done with apples and this way is a lot faster.
Here's a picture of just a portion of our apples filling our bathtub.
And here's my Aunt Julie helping JoJo pick apples off their tree. And here's hubby pretending to be happy with me taking a picture of him picking apples...what a good sport.

and then more juicing...

more juicing...
more juicing...in my lovely pjs... freezing the juice would have been much easier, but we have to have space for our orange juice, lemon juice, bread, rolls, jam- things that have to go in the freezer.
I'm happy to announce we are DONE with apples, for now anyway. Whew- glad to get that off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment