April 28, 2011

JoJo's Room

I have a girl, so naturally I want to decorate her room super fun and girly. On the other hand, I don't really have a lot of cash for decorating...so...time to be creative!
I think I posted a picture of her nightstand before. This was a $5 Craigslist find that I sanded, repainted, and distressed. With a fancy new knob from Anthropologie- it's a one of a kind cutie! I also love that it is nice, solid, American made wood.
This wicker chest was in my room growing up. It makes a great storage space for my daughter's stuffed animals and dress-up clothes. I just put a fresh coat of spray paint on it. I figured if I put a cushion on top, then she could also use it as a bench or reading area. I bought a 2'x4'x1.5" sheet of wood then cut it to match the size and curvature of the chest. I did the same with a 2" sheet of foam. Then I upholstered the top by stretching and stapling the fabric in to place. Then I secured the board by putting screws through the underside of the lid and into the wood. Admittedly this is my first upholstery-type project. I guess it turned out okay- about $20 all together. I'd like to make some matching pillows (I made these a couple years ago), but all in good time...


I found a 15 foot board in my in-laws backyard. It was already weathered and perfectly worn. My mother-in-law was glad to get rid of it. I just took it home and cut it with a jig saw and sanded the edges and surfaces to avoid excess paint chipping.



I took some photos of JoJo and desaturated them, printed them, then sprayed the backs with spray adhesive. After they dried, I sprayed the wood with polyurethane, drilled holes, and strung the ribbon for hanging. Total cost $3? (to print the photos) I did the same thing with this photo of the temple that I took, then painted the words on it. I have to say I loved this project! I wish I knew where to find more old scrap wood like this- anybody know of a place? I've done my share of crackling and distressing wood, but this was just SO easy and perfect!


When driving through a small town in rural Pennsylvania, we came across an old barn. The owners were upgrading the windows and getting rid of the old ones, so we picked one up for $5. After cleaning, sanding, and painting, I attached these pictures with glue dots (scrapbook item). Not only is it a fun and unique decoration, but I love being able to re-purpose old items and give them a new life.



One last item- JoJo's headboard. I found this on Craigslist. It was actually built out of fencing material. They just added the knobs on the top (are those called finials?). Again, I painted and distressed it to match everything else. The room isn't at all finished yet. Someday I'd like to make a comforter and curtains to match. When you're working on a budget and doing things yourself- it's all about time and patience.

1 comment: